It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I heart LA!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:08 am 
Peggster in Chief

There have been a flurry of stories recently, delighting in my rejection of the possibility of ever living in the US, particularly LA. This was of course proliferated by a British publication which decided to run with the passive/aggressive suggestion that nowhere beats ol' Blighty. Where as I probably deflected the notion of emigrating due to my roots; familial and social connections being of great importance to me, it was in no way a dismissal of LA. Maureen and I have had a wonderful time whilst living in the City of Angels and Santa Monica has far more to offer than solely a British themed pub. I feel a huge debt and affection to the people I have encountered during my stay in this beguiling city from the wonderful doctors at St. John's Medical Center, to the staff at the Starbucks on the corner of Montana and 7th. Whatever the future holds for me, be it London forever or a more international lifestyle, I'd be a lucky man if I ever settled in this crazy, erratic but ultimately warm and friendly town. Clarification ends.

p.s. Kristen Wiig is one of the funniest human beings I have ever met. If you aren't already a fan, seek her out. She is, quite simply, extraordinary. I jump up and down and clap every time I see her.

Sx

Post subject: Re: I heart LA!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:17 am 
Peggster Mod

Extremely well stated. So much so that I'm not even going to pester you to explore to the Eastside, yet again.

When are they going to realize that only native Angelenos are allowed to slag off LA, as we're the only ones who are any good at it? Silly tabs!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:19 am 
thirtyhelens wrote:
When are they going to realize that only native Angelenos are allowed to slag off LA, as we're the only ones who are any good at it? Silly tabs!

That's true of any town though, isn't it?

I wouldn't be able to live in LA, though. I'd burn to a crisp within about seven seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:31 am 
Peggster Mod

Dreadwind wrote:
That's true of any town though, isn't it?

Yeah, probably. Seems like we're a favorite target of non-native chatter (or in this case, taking someone's words out of context and giving it a negative connotation it didn't have) though. ;)

I have a complex love-hate relationship with LA. Like Wuthering Heights. Or Moonlighting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:34 am 
Or Odo and Quark.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:35 am 
Like A Little Flower

I love LA if I could afford it I would move there. I visit at least once a month and every visit is different from the last. You meet very interesting people and theres billions of things to see.

Of course its always hot out there, there hasnt been a day where i hadnt gotten burned out there but I still love it. Plus the parties are extroadinary fun.

~Sharice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:33 am 
Peggster Mod

Bless your heart, Simon. :angel: :heart: You seem to have the same strong drive to clarify what you mean & not be misunderstood, that I do. :D

And was that a little hint that there's a new Pegg in the world? :wink:

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
:mrgreen:

Life just isn't like the movies is it? You know? We're constantly led to believe in resolution, in the re-establishment of the ideal status quo, & it's just not true. Happy endings are a myth designed to make us feel better about the fact that life is just a thankless struggle.
Well I won't argue that it was a no-holds-barred adrenaline-fuelled thrill-ride, but there's no way you could perpetrate that amount of carnage & mayhem & not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:19 am 
Peggster Mod

Dreadwind wrote:
I wouldn't be able to live in LA, though. I'd burn to a crisp within about seven seconds.

It's okay as long as you're not in direct sunlight for long periods of time. I'm quite pale and have to always be prepared if I'm going to be out in the sun for more than just a few minutes. I own a lot of hats. Lol.

I've lived in L.A. for just over four years now and I adore it. I remember when I first moved out here, people were warning me about shallow people who involved in "scenes." Those kinds of people certainly do exist. However, I've met just as many kind and genuine people here, too. And those are the ones I've chosen to surround myself with.

I love this city. It can be wacky and annoying and over the top, but there's a lot of beauty to be found here, too. Heck, I even enjoy the wackiness. Living here is quite a surreal experience. And I enjoy every minute of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:20 am 
TFU

dolfyn wrote:
And was that a little hint that there's a new Pegg in the world? :wink:

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
:mrgreen:

I figured if that was true he would have made some kind of announcement..out of sheer excitement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:17 am 
Hardcore UK Raver

Well said as usual sir. Best regards to you and yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:53 am 
Like A Little Flower

No matter where you go there you are! :party:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:02 am 
Too Orangey For Crows

I loved LA when I visited there...when was it..? Oh yes, about 5 years ago. Well, technically, I went to San Diego...But I visited LA while I was there. :P I loved it the whole time...And damn, It's a LOT cooler there than it is here. :/

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend. Now I will step forward to realize this wish. And who knows; Starting a new journey may not be so hard or maybe it has already begun. There are many worlds, but they share the same sky - -one sky, one destiny."

"Friendship is like peeing your pants...Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth."

"Have a banana."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:24 am 
Opened the Window

Simon Pegg wrote:
p.s. Kristen Wiig is one of the funniest human beings I have ever met. If you aren't already a fan, seek her out. She is, quite simply, extraordinary. I jump up and down and clap every time I see her.

I have loved Kristen Wiig ever since she joined the cast of SNL. I have only seen her on TV and in films, but I just had an inkling that she was probably a really cool person to know, and now it's been confirmed by a trusted source. :-) She brings something to the characters she portrays that I can't quite put into words. But I love watching her!!

Daisy: "Do you rent downstairs?"
Brian: "Do you mean am I gay?"

http://www.facebook.com/CotterDaly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:40 am 
TFU

Thanks Simon.

It's a fine line to tread sometimes isn't it?
Say you love LA and they'll be claiming you're desserting the home land, but say you don't want to leave England and they reckon you're bagging LA. :roll:

Simon gots lotsa love to give to all the world!
I guess that news doesn't make enough of a story for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:37 pm 
Peggster Admin

Fwah . . people just love to twist words around sometimes, don't they. We're happy to have ya here in the US, Simon and those who know ya never doubted you're enjoying your stay.

Our hearts are always in our homelands/hometowns but we can always make new places just as wonderful as home is.

I'd love to visit LA . . I've only been to San Francisco (due to some family living in the area and I liked it there) . . but LA seems quite lovely.

Psst . .Hey Nic - got room on the couch if I should ever want to visit? :wink:

It might just take me awhile for my go go go all the time NY personality to relax into the more laid back style there of the West Coast :mrgreen:

And if there's a good amount of wackiness there, as per Julie . .sound like a fun place to me!

Daisy: Ah, that’d be terrible.
Tim: I know, I’d look like a twat in a jumpsuit.
Daisy: Don’t say that, Tim. That’s a word that hates women.
Tim: What, twat?
Daisy: No, jumpsuit.