It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:38 pm 
Peggster in Chief

Just after I wrote this Edgar sent me the link to his own lovely tribute to the great man. Head on over to edgarwrighthere.com to read it. It's no surprise that we echo each other's sentiments entirely and Edgar has put together a beautifully thoughtful piece, which really sums up our feelings for Edward. I wanted to post my own thoughts nonetheless, since they are personal to me and my affection for the great man is boundless.

Edward Woodward was in my opinion, one of the country's finest actors, a true luminary of the British stage and screen, whom I was lucky enough to get to know in 2006 during production on Hot Fuzz. Whilst hatching our 'straight cop in a crooked world' tale, Edgar Wright and myself had always hoped to secure the services of Mr. Woodward, not least because our story was in no small way a tribute to the inspired 1973 horror/mystery/quasi musical, The Wicker Man in which Edward starred as the ultra pious, Sergeant Howie. A similarity he was quick to point out on his first day in the rehearsal room. I have a very clear memory of Edward's arrival. He was immaculately turned out (as always, it transpired), leaning on his walking stick having negotiated a flight of stairs, somewhat out of puff. Edgar and myself stood up, as one does when a superior enters the room, to receive him with barely disguised geekish warmth, to which he responded with impeccable courtesy, although I'm sure internally, he was reserving his judgement. After all, who were we? A pair of spotty herberts, whose only distinction from the legion of fans he must have encountered over the years, was that we had written a film he had agreed to be in. We chatted for a while, partly to allow Edward to get his breath back, partly because Edgar didn't want to immediately assume the role of authoritarian; mainly because we just wanted to get to know him. It became apparent very quickly that Edward was great company. A true raconteur with a seemingly endless supply of stories from his eventful life and illustrious career. From tales of working with Olivier to meeting the mafia on the set of The Equalizer to an hilariously improbable encounter with another Edward Woodward deep in the Australian outback. We realised quickly that at least part of each rehearsal day should be given over to what we referred to as 'anecdote time' , not least when Edward was joined by the likes of Billie Whitelaw and Timothy Dalton. It was a genuine treat for myself and Edgar to sit back and watch this hugely talented and experienced actor, tell us of his experiences in a world we had ourselves, barely ventured into.

On set, Edward was the absolute model of professionalism. Gregarious, focused and utterly dedicated to giving the best performance he could. The fact that this was an outright, often silly comedy did not in anyway undermine Edward's commitment to the role of Tom Weaver, the Neighborhood Watch Alliance's chief civilian liaison to the Sandford Police Service. It was enormous fun just to watch him bring the character to life. Sometimes as an actor, it's hard to stay in character when you are performing alongside people for whom you have such respect. It's almost too exciting, you want to laugh, take stock, proffer a hug. This was definitely the case with Edward.

My last memory of this kind and endlessly likable man is a very happy one. At a small get together in central London to celebrate the completion of the movie, Edgar and myself had given our heartfelt thanks to the assembled cast, when Edward stood up unannounced and proceeded to entertain the room for a good five minutes, with jokes and sweet sentiments about his time on the film, that left us genuinely touched and beaming with pride. This was after all Edward Woodward; Sergeant Howie, 'Breaker' Morant, David Callan, The Equalizer. It's one thing to meet your heroes, it's another find them the person you hoped they would be. Edward was definitely one such hero.

Simon Pegg 16/11/09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:14 pm 
Opened the Window

Quote:
It's one thing to meet your heroes, it's another find them the person you hoped they would be.

I say the same of you sir. Thank you and Edgar for posting these tributes. Mr. Woodward deserves nothing less.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:39 pm 
Like A Little Flower

Beautiful sentiments.

The childhood memory of that light bulb swinging has just faded...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:01 pm 
Peggster Mod

A very poignant & beautifully written tribute, Simon. Thank you.

RIP, Mr Woodward. *bows head*

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
:angel:

Life just isn't like the movies is it? You know? We're constantly led to believe in resolution, in the re-establishment of the ideal status quo, & it's just not true. Happy endings are a myth designed to make us feel better about the fact that life is just a thankless struggle.
Well I won't argue that it was a no-holds-barred adrenaline-fuelled thrill-ride, but there's no way you could perpetrate that amount of carnage & mayhem & not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:17 pm 
Like A Little Flower

This joke stuck in my mind and I must have heard it years ago! I'm unsure if this is the best joke I ever heard or the worst but funnily enough I told this to friends at work today and they just said... that makes no sense at all?!?! Ok, so they were right but here goes...

Q: What would Edward Woodward be called if the letter 'D' didn't exist?

A: Ewar Woowar!

Ok, so my friends were right but this 'joke' always brings a smile to my face.

http://www.youtube.com/user/21stCenturyCat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:20 am 
Like A Little Flower

I've always been a horror fan and one of the images that stands out is Edward Woodward's character in The Wicker Man (there is only ONE Wicker Man; the remake is only known as 'The Bees!) waking up to the lit Hand of Glory candle...

Your tribute, along with Mr. Wright's, was wonderful, as is your filmmaking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:26 am 
Like A Little Flower

Sounds like Edward was a smashing bloke.. cheers Simon and Edgar for your tributes.
The man could really turn on the intensity when needed. Used to enjoy watching The Equalizer with my dad..
I plan on watching the Wickerman (my fave brit horror) and having a drink or two for Ewar Woowar tomorrow night.
Another great actor gone.. he had a good inning though.

I like to think that Edwards reaction to watching that terrible remake would be "Oh God! Oh Jesus Christ! Noooo".
It makes me grin anyway :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:48 am 
Like A Little Flower

I remember watching the Equalizer as a kid and looking forward to the day I could wear a suit, a coat and black gloves.

R.I.P. Edward

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:07 am 
TFU

What a wonderful tribute...he will be missed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:15 am 
TFU

I was shocked when I heard the news this morning. One of my earliest TV memories is watching Edward Woodward toughening his hands in a bucket of wet sand, and thinking how cool it was.

Rest in peace, Callan.

"You don't need food, you are living off your brain."

Calgon: Maximum protection is almost like some protection.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:24 am 
Hardcore UK Raver

Edward Woodward Rest in Peace

Wonderful Tribute Simon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:33 am 
Hardcore UK Raver

Sorry I didn't really know Mr. Woodward's work well, but I did enjoy his character, Tom Weaver, in Hot Fuzz.
The one thing that came to mind when I seen his name, was actually a reference to him in 'Asylum' that Adam Bloom did:

Adam: Edward Woodward, Adam Dum Dum...I think I've changed my mind to Adam Dum dum"
Victor: Oh for god sakes SHUT UP!"
Adam: Oh you don't know how Iv'e done it, I've taken the three syllables..
Victor: Oh no! I can't take it anymore!
Dr. Lovett: Ello everybody, how you feeling tea n biscuits? You see I had thought of a possible resoultion here
Victor: Well speak quickly doctor because this bullet has his name upon it.."
Adam: Yea, it's a dum dum bullet!

R.I.P. Mr. Edward Woodward

"Do not convince yourself spliffs, joints, doobies, reefers are not real fags, THEY ARE!
I was on 40 a day and had to divide the rest of my time between eating and laughing"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:50 am 
TFU

Beautifully said as always Simon.
It's a sad loss.

I always found him a great actor and he seemed like a good guy - so it's nice to hear some lovely personal words about him too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:13 am 
Peggster Mod

JessicaDwyer wrote:
I say the same of you sir. Thank you and Edgar for posting these tributes. Mr. Woodward deserves nothing less.

Our Jess speaks the truth.

Also, just to add (though I commented on it elsewhere) that photo is stunning. Stark and extremely moving. RIP.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:34 am 
TFU

Go and search the video of him going back to the cliff recently where he shot "The Wicker Man." Great guy! :rock: